Friday 16 March 2012

Miracles happen when God is in the driving seat

I took ownership of my first ever car last weekend. Seeing as I’m 29, it was about time really. So what did I go for? A flashy Audi TT? A rule the road Beemer? Nope. It’s a 1995 Corsa covered in scrapes and bumps, with more than a dusting of rust around the doors.

But it’s still a miracle car as far as I’m concerned. A couple of weeks ago I started praying for a car – I felt I needed it to get around and also to make me feel like a proper grownup! My prayer warrior mum also got on the case and approached the throne room on my behalf.

Then lo and behold, my granny rings my mum to say she has decided to stop driving and would like to give me her car. I hadn’t even started praying in earnest! I had, however, told several people I was “standing in faith” for some wheels. Even my mustard-seed-sized faith was rewarded by my utterly gracious and generous God.

And that’s not the only miracle. A few weeks back my granny went missing. She’d driven to see someone, got lost and become very confused. In the end, my aunty – who was frantic by this time – rang the police, who tracked her down and brought her home.

She couldn’t understand what all the fuss was about, but we’d all been pretty worried. We (once again) urged her to stop driving, but she was having none of it. Living in rural Wales, she needs a car to get her shopping, visit people in hospital, and do the many other beneficent things she does.

I could sympathise with this; being without a car can make life more difficult. Prior to getting the Corsa I cycled or walked pretty much everywhere, but at 95 that’s not really an option. The fact of the matter is, though, that her driving has never been very good and has deteriorated further as her eyesight, hearing and general skills of perception have worsened.

I honestly don’t know how she managed to avoid injuring herself or other road users/pedestrians, but judging by the state of the car, she’s had her fair share of minor accidents. And the confusion she is started experiencing more and more frequently was an added cause for concern.

My mum and aunties started praying she would come to the realisation that her driving days were over. She’s a strong, independent woman and we knew she wouldn’t give up her car without a fight.

So when my mum got the call, it was a double cause for celebration. I never thought she’d stop driving, and I didn’t have the money to buy a car. But God’s thinking doesn’t work the same way ours: there are no limits or insurmountable circumstances for our God.

I’ve learnt a few lessons from this car scenario. First, prayer really works. I knew that anyway, but this has been a great reminder. Second, rather than struggling and worrying through life, it’s better to start off with prayer – God is a lot smarter than me. Third, I really need to work on my parking. I’m pretty sure everyone in my street is also praying about that!

Read more from Joy in the next issue of Sorted magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment